Thursday 3:15 to 5:00
The Science and Technology Group is an after school session for kids and young teens that learns and plays with all aspects of technology. This group has a science and experimental angle to the things we do. As with all our Technohackers groups, we intend it to be a fun clever environment where disaster has plenty of opportunity.
This term we will be looking at the CHEMISTRY mainly in connection to food (but not always). Each week we will have a talk and then we will try something out. These experiments will sometimes be tasty and sometimes… just a complete mess. No one knows until we try things out and see.
- The current term will be running Thursdays from 3:15 to 5:00pm at the Whangarei Club. This is for 9 years and up.
- It is ok to arrive later and leave earlier than this if needed, but we will formally kick off at around 3:45 and formally end at around 5:00.
- The 2019 sign-up form can be found at this link here
- We are normally still winding down/packing up at 5:30 but if someone’s pickup is going to be later than this for some reason, give us a call or text to let us know.
- Please always sign-in when arriving, unless we have been notified that they will be making their own way home.
Kevin coordinates and runs the sessions with the help of others. Contact him for information and with questions. He also has one child attending the group (Jasper aged 13).
Other useful information:
- We do not provide afternoon snack but do have water. For some, the experience of dying of malnutrition will be an issue and providing an extra bit of food could be a good thing.
- We are using the Whangarei Club in Rust Ave. This is across the road from the old Library. There is parking for dropping off to the left of the building.
- The name “Technohackers” was created and picked by the kids. “Techno” is short for technology while “hackers” is shorthand for those of us that create, make, and generally modify technology to solve problems. There is no negative connotation to the word in our context.
- If a child is not collected and we are unable contact their family by 6:30pm, the police will be notified. It’s never happened but this is just so you know the process.
- We encourage parents with skills or interest to help out and we also focus on peer tutoring and support.
- We are supported by membership @$12/week (or $15 for the coding group). More information can be found on the Membership page.
- For further information please email [email protected]